Saturday, November 12, 2011

Patisserie 46

I've been trying to abstain from sugar until Thanksgiving. And it was going quit well too. Until I happened to be in South Minneapolis, which I rarely get to since it's all the way across the river, and I happened to be driving down 46th street, and I happen to have just come from a baking presentation by Zoe Francois, and I happen to be hungry and maybe just a little bitter about the whole no-sugar thing, and I came across what I knew to be tauted as the best bakery in the metro. And I knew that my readers (that's you) have been dying to know if Patisserie 46 is really as fantastic as they say. And I'm trying to shop local...

So I went for it. I marched into that cute little corner bakery slash coffee shop and ordered. And ordered. And ordered.

I patiently waited through the long drive back to Saint Paul (seriously, Minneapolis is far!) so that I can snap a couple of pictures of all that loveliness. Then I made myself a cup of tea and gathered my family for a little tasting.

The brioche bostock was crazy good. While usually bostock is a way of using day-old brioche by brushing it with syrup and topping with almonds, Patisserie 46th's was a version all it's own. It was a moist, dense cake, baked with almond paste and topped with slivered almonds. A hint of orange was delightful, and the crunchy almond topping was a perfect match to the soft interior. I could have stopped there. But I didn't.

Next, we tried a roasted pineapple danish sprinkled with lime zest. It was sweeter than the brioche, and the layers of ultra buttery, flaky dough were ridiculously sinful. I am sure the rest of their danishes and croissants are divine as well.

A thick slice of vanilla cardamon bread had sat a tiny bit too long, so one side was a bit dry, but it was delicious non-the-less. The subtle cardamon was a fun surprise, and did not over power the delicate vanilla. Soft and rich and satisfying, this would be my first choice for a partner to a morning cappuccino.

Finally, a little cookie that was recommended to me by a young man promising "a cake like cookie, buttery and doughy" didn't quit deliver. It may have been softer earlier in the day, but as it was we enjoyed it simply as a nice little butter cookie. At $1.25, it really wasn't much of a risk.

Our entire plate of sugary goodness was under $12, not what you would expect from a bakery owned by a chef named one of the top 10 pastry chefs in America who also happens to be a Food Network Chocolate Challenge winner. I would have gladly paid double.

Next time, I would like to spend some time in the cozy shop, and indulge in one of their dazzling desserts, the likes of which one only sees on Food Network.








No comments:

Post a Comment